The GNRC 5th Forum Hosting Committee held its first meeting on 24th June, 2016 in Panama to officially launch preparations of the forum. The meeting was attended by representatives of the Inter-religious Committee of Panama, an organization that brings together representatives of Judaism, Hinduism, Islam, Bahai Community, and Christianity including the Catholic, Anglican, Greek Orthodox, and Christian churches.
Bishop Julio Murray, Chairman of the Hosting Committee introduced all the members of the committee, and the general coordination team at the meeting. There was also a discussion about the outcomes and conclusions from the last meeting of the International Organizing Committee meeting in May 2016 in Panama, including the theme for the Fifth Forum, Ending Violence Against Children: Faith Communities in Action.
It was a good opportunity for the Committee members to meet each other, ask questions on the tasks that have been assigned, and take the moment to form relevant sub-committees. The participants showed a lot of enthusiasm towards the overall project and affirmed their commitment to ensuring a successful forum.
The GNRC 5th Forum Hosting Committee
- Chairperson; Rt. Rev. Julio E. Murray, Bishop of the Episcopal Church of Panama and President of the Ecumenical Committee in Panama
- Rabbi Gustavo Kraselnik, Jewish Community, Congregation Kol Shearith
- Professor Aurora Carrasco, Baha’i Community
- Imam Mohamed El Sayyed, Islamic Community
- Lic. Isis Navarro Hurtado, General Secretary of Comité Ecuménico- Coordinadora de GNRC-Panamá (COEPA)
- Rev. Heinsley Johnson, Methodist Church of the Caribbean ant the Americas
- Rev. Pedro Araúz, Evangelical Methodist Church of Panama
- Father Georgios Kaleodis, Greek Orthodox Church
- Lic. Betzy Farah Morán, Balboa Union Church
- Monsignor Jose Domingo Ulloa, Archbishop of the Roman Catholic Church
- Sra. Lorena Castillo de Varela, First Lady of the Republic of Panamá
- Dr. Verona Salmon, – Vice President, Consejo Latinoamericano de Iglesias (CLAI)
Members of the GNRC 5th Forum Hosting Committee during the meeting